By: Shannon Brasil, Nurse Practitioner
Hot flashes are one of the most common complaints we hear during menopause. They can affect a woman’s quality of life tremendously, causing her to have difficulty with sleeping, focus, concentration, energy and many other aspects. Although the exact cause of hot flashes is still a matter of speculation, hot flashes are thought to be the result of changes in the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that regulates the body’s temperature.
Symptoms of a hot flash include:
- Sudden onset of warm skin and profuse sweating
- Sudden onset of redness in the face, neck, ears, and chest
- Faster heartbeat than usual
- Tingling of your fingers
There are many hot flashes treatments and ways we can help! Many people still believe that hormone replacement therapy is the only way to manage hot flashes and symptoms of menopause. While hormone replacement is an effective option for many women, there are still other treatment options that can help alleviate symptoms. These include:
- Diet alterations like limiting caffeine, alcohol intake, and spicy foods.
- Increased or changing exercise can increase serotonin production which helps reduce hot flashes.
- Meditation, behavior modification, and biofeedback
- Weight loss
- Natural supplements like black cohosh, primrose oil, dong quai, gingseng, and estrovera made from a rhubarb supplement. Estrovera is available on our online store for purchase!
- Hormoneal therapy like progesterone and testosterone
If you are suffering from hot flashes, or short, private moments in tropical conditions, WE can help!
Contact us to learn more about hot flashes treatment and more about options available to you. Call us at